Molding and Casting

Project Overview

In this project I created a sillicone mold of a part I previously designed. Then cast three hard plasctic parts using this mold.

Original Clay Part

In a previous project, Get a Grip!, I created a redesigned erganomic razor handle out of chavant sculpting clay.

angle 2angle 1

Mold Creation Planing

To sucessfully create my mold I planned out a few key components beforehand. I had to decide where I wanted the parting line, pour hole and weep hole to be on my part.  For the parting line I decided it needed to be along the vertical centerline of the part as to not interfere with the specific finger rest locations. This ment when creating the mold I could simply rest the part on one of its sides.

As for the pour and weep holes I wanted them to belocated on the bottom of the part because that is the area that interacts the least with the hand when in use.



Mold Creation:

To create the sillicon mold that will be used to cast the plastic parts first I encased half the clay part.  I used foam core parts to fill up most of this space and then covered it all in sculpty clay.



Then I constructed a box around this.  I opted for a non-rectangular box to reduce the amount of sculpty clay and sillicone I would need, but I needed to keep in mind to have a flat side opposite where I wanted the pour hole.  I added registration marks by pressing the end of a marker into the clay around the part.


After sparaying the whole setup with mold release I poured the first half of the sillicon mold.  Then disassembled the box, pulled out the first mold half and then rebuilt the box, sprayed with mold release, and made the second half

Then I had two halfs of a mold ready for casting.



To cast the plastic parts I rubberbannded the two mold halfs together, mixed the resin, and poured into the mold attempting to get as many air bubbles out as possible.

For my first part I did not use the pressure chamber, but the next two I place in the pressure chameber for a short time quicly after the resin was poured. The pressure chamber helps push any airbubles in the resin up and out of the part.



Final Parts

First part: (sanded, painted, and razor attached)


Second part: (untoutched)


Third part: (violet die, partialy sanded)


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

<span>%d</span> bloggers like this: